Hi readers! In this article I will invite you to know the virtues of the widows and their position in Islam. The discussion this time is almost the same as the previous discussion, it’s just that our focus this time is a widow.
As we know, the widow is the woman her husband left behind or a divorced woman. Surely not all widow is poor women. There are among those who actually get a lot of inheritance so that she can get anything to meet her daily needs. Not that widow we will discuss here. What we will discuss is a poor widow so she can’t meet all her daily needs. I don’t need to describe how difficult the widow is in living, especially if she has children who also need to eat, drink, clothing, protection, and a decent education. I think we all know it all.
In the view of Islam, widows who are unable to meet their daily needs have a special position. I say very special because they get special attention. That we can see in some hadith the prophet Muhammad shallallaahu ‘alaihi wa sallam;
عن أبي هريرة رضي الله عنه عن النبي صلي الله عليه وسلم قال : الساعي على الأرملة والمسكين كالمجاهد في سبيل الله , وأحسبه قال : وكالقائم الذي لايفتر و كالصائم الذي لايفطر
From Abu Hurairah radliyallâhu ‘anhu, from the Prophet (Muhammad) sallallaahu ‘alaihi wa sallam said, “One who walks to help widows and poor like those who strive in the way of Allah.” I thought he said, “And like people who worship continuously and like fasting people who don’t break the fast (not eating at maghrib). ” (The hadith is narrated by al-Bukhari, 6007, and Muslim, 2982).
قال النبي صلي الله عليه وسلم : الساعي على الأرملة والمسكين كالمجاهد في سبيل الله أو كالذي يصوم النهار ويقوم الليل
Prophet Muhammad sallallaahu ‘alaihi wa sallam said, “One who walks to help the widows and the poor is like one who strive in the way of Allah or like a person who fasts during the day and worships at night.” (The hadith is narrated by al-Bukhari, 6006).
قال النبي صلي الله عليه وسلم : أنا وإمرأة سفعاء الخدين كهاتين يوم القيامة – وجمع بين أصبعيه السبابة والوسطى – إمرأة ذات منصب وجمال حبست نفسها على أيتامها حتي ماتوا أو بانوا
The Prophet Muhammad sallallahu ‘alaihi wa sallam said, “Me and the woman whose cheeks are red-black like these two fingers in Heaven and then combine his two fingers (index finger and middle finger) – (she is) the woman who had the status and the beauty her husband left behind. She restrained hermself for her orphaned sons until they married or died. (The hadith is narrated by al-Bukhari, al-Adab al-Mufrad, 144, Ahmad, 39/432, and Abu Daud, 5149).
عن عائشة رضي الله عنها قالت : دخلت علي إمرأة ومعها إبناتان لها تسأل فلم تجد عندي شيئا غير تمرة , فأعطيتها إياها فقسمتها بين إبنتيها ولم تأكل منها ثم خرجت . فدخل علي رسول الله صلي الله عليه وسلم فأخبرته , فقال : من إبتلي بهذه البنات بشيئ فأحسن إليهن كن له سترا من النار يوم القيامة
From Aisha radliyallaahu ‘anhaa, she said, “A woman came to see me with her two daughters. She asked for food, but I did not have anything other than dates. I then gave the date to her. She then distributed the dates to her two daughters, while she did not eat them at all. Then she went out. Rasullah (Muhammad) shallallaahu ‘alaihi wa sallam then came to see me. I then told him about it. He said, “Whosoever is tested with orphaned daughters, then he does good to them, then they will be a barrier for him from the fire of Hell on the Day of Judgment.” (The hadith is narrated by al-Bukhari, 1352).
In fact, there are still many hadith prophet Muhammad shallallâhu ‘alaihi wa sallam who spoke of virtue of helping widows and their position. But I think some of the hadith above is enough to explain what is the purpose in writing this article.
If we observe some of the hadiths of Prophet Muhammad sallallaahu ‘alaihi wa sallam above, then at least we can conclude some things as follows;
1. A widow who are unable to fulfill their daily needs have the right of the wealth of the rich.
2. Islam is very concerned about widows who are unable to meet their daily needs. It can be seen from some of the above hadiths that tell the virtues of helping widow who are unable to meet their daily needs.
3. The reward of those who help widows who are unable to fulfill their daily needs such as the reward of those who strive in the way of Allah, and like the reward of those who worship continuously and like fasting people who do not break, and like people who continue to worship at night.
4. A widow who is able to refrain from temptation of shaitan, she does not do things that violate Islamic law, especially if she is a beautiful woman and has a position, she still patiently leads life and take care of her orphaned children until they marry or die, then one day he will be in Heaven with the prophet Muhammad shallallaahu ‘alaihi wa sallam. She will be near him as the distance between the index finger and the middle finger.
5. A widow who is willing to take good care of orphans, the orphans will be her protectors from the Fire of Hell on the Day of Judgment. This also applies to everyone who is willing to care for orphans well.
Such are the virtues of helping widow who can not meet their daily needs and their position in Islam. The special attention Islam gives them is none other than to meet their needs so that they can live a decent life. In addition, this particular concern is also to further affirm that Islam is a religion that does carry a peace mission; Islam is a religion of compassion.
I think that’s enough for this article. See you again in the next article!