Knowledge About Mosque ~ Hi there! In this article, I will explain some important things about mosque. The important things I mean are what can and can’t be done inside a mosque. A mosque is a sacred place for Muslims. That’s why we must know important things related to it.
In this article I will explain some important things as follows;
- Social activities and sleeping in the mosque.
- Trading in Mosque.
- Singing in Mosque.
Social Activities and Sleeping in Mosque
I’m sure we all know what social activities and sleeping are. I will not discuss the definition of two things. But, can those two things be done In Mosque?
We can find information about that in the following hadith;
عن عائشة رضي الله عنها قالت ؛ أصيب سعد يوم الخندق فضرب عليه رسول الله صلى عليه وسلم خيمة في المسجد ليعوده من قريب . متفق عليه
From Aisha radliyallahu ‘anha, she said, “Sa’ad was hit by an arrow at the time of the Khandaq war. The Messenger of Allah sallallahu ‘alaihi wa sallam then made a tent for Sa’ad at the mosque, so that he could meet him from a nearby place.” The hadith is narrated by al-Bukhari and Muslim.
There are several important things related to hadith above;
- The hadith explains, that someone may sleep in Mosque.
- A sick person may stay in a mosque even though he is injured.
- The hadith explains the obligation to treat sick people.
- The hadith explains, that we may make tents in the mosque for a need because the status is only temporary, different from making buildings.
All readers! If we look at the explanation above, of course we know that someone can sleep and rest in the mosque. It’s true, basically the mosque is a place devoted to worship. But the form of worship is not only prayer and dzkir. There are many forms of worship, such as treating sick people, helping disaster victims, and so on. Thus, mosques may also be used for various kinds of social activities that are beneficial to others.
Trading in Mosque
Hal penting lain adalah berdagang. Saya yakin kita semua sudah tahu itu. Tapi, bolehkah itu dilakukan di dalam di dalam masjid?
Another important thing is trading. I’m sure we all know that. But, can it be done in Mosque?
We can find the answer for the question in the following hadiths;
عن أبي هريرة رضي الله عنه قال ؛ قال رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم ؛ من سمع رجلا ينشد ضالة في المسجد فليقل ؛ لا ردها الله عليك ، فإن المساجد لم تبن لهذا . رواه مسلم
From Abu Hurairah radliyallahu ‘anhu, he said,” The Messenger of Allah sallallahu ‘alaihi wa sallam said, “Whoever hears someone searches for lost items in the mosque, then let him say, “May Allah not return it to you. Indeed, mosques are not built for this purpose.” The hadith is narrated by Muslim.
عن أبي هريرة رضي الله عنه أن رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم قال ؛ إذا رأيتم من يبيع أو يبتاع في المسجد فقولوا له ؛ لا أربح الله تجارتك . رواه النسائي والترمذي
From Abu Hurairah radliyallahu ‘anhu, that the Messenger of Allah sallallahu ‘alaihi wa sallam said, “If you see a person who sells and buys in a mosque, then tell him,” May Allah not benefit your trade. “The hadith is narrated by an- Nasa’i and at-Tirmidzi.
There are several important things related to the two hadith above that we need to know;
- The first hadith explains the prohibition of searching for lost items in the mosque. Usually, there are people who lose sandals, shoes, or even money in the mosque. Well, if we experience something like that, then we better not look for it. We are willing to lose our items in the mosque.
- The second hadith explains that trade should not be carried out in the mosque.
- The two hadiths explain, that in fact the main purpose of the construction of a mosque is for worship. That’s why it should not be used for world needs, such as trade and so on.
All readers! If we look at the two hadith and the brief explanation above, then of course we already know the answer to the question above. The answer is, we cannot trade in the mosque. The reason is as I mentioned in the third point.
Singing in Mosque
The last thing I want to explain here is about singing in Mosque. The question is the same; can it be done in mosque?
We can find the answer for the question in the hadith below;
عن أبي هريرة رضي الله عنه أن عمر رضي الله عنه مر بحسان ينشد في المسجد فلحظ إليه ، فقال ؛ قد كنت أنشد فيه ، وفيه من هو خير منك . متفق عليه
From Abu Hurairah radliyallahu ‘anhu, that Umar radliyallahu ‘anhu met Hassan who was developing (poetry) in the mosque. He then looked at Hassan with a denying view. Hassan then said, “I have developed (poetry) in it (mosque). In it there is someone who is better than you. “The hadith is narrated by al-Bukhari and Muslim.
There are some important things related to the hadith above that you need to know;
- The hadith explains, that we may develop poetry, including music, in a mosque if it is good for the people, such as giving advice.
- Recognition of the Prophet Muhammad can be used as a legal reference.
- We may compare the opinions of smart people with the opinions of smarter people.
- We may sing and listen to music if it is beneficial to us.
- We may spread the teachings of Islam by using music, literature, and so forth.
All readers! If we look at the brief explanation above, then of course we already know the answer to the question above, “We may sing in the mosque if it is useful,” as I explained in the fourth and fifth points. It is true, the hadith above does not explain singing in the mosque. The hadith explains about developing poetry in the mosque. But if we look deeper, we will know that there are similarities between developing poetry and singing, between developing poetry in the mosque for good and singing in mosque for good.
That is a brief explanation of important knowledge about mosque. May be useful!
See you again!