Hi all readers! In this article I will explain how to make true friendship. As human beings we cannot escape the help of others. We can see that from our birth until we die later. We always need their help. Among the many people we need and will help us are friends.
Before I talk about this theme further, first I want to ask, what is a real friend? Maybe we will answer, that true friends are friends who help us whenever we need help. Maybe that is true. But is that answer a very correct answer?
Okay! Straight to!
Before I answer the question above, I will quote the advice of the Prophet Muhammad to Ali bin Abi Talib about a true friend. Pay attention! The Prophet Muhammad once said to him;
“O Ali! As bad as friends are people who harm their friends and who spread the secrets of their friends!”
“O Ali! A thousand friends are few and one enemy is many!”
“O Ali! Friendship has several signs. He does not make his property different from your treasure, he is different from you, and his honor is different from your honor.”
All readers! If we understand the three advices of the Prophet Muhammad above, we will understand a number of things as follows;
1. Bad friends are friends who harm us.
2. Bad friends are friends who spread our secrets.
3. Bad friends are friends who distinguish their wealth from our assets.
4. Bad friend is a friend who distinguishes his honor from our honor.
5. A thousand friends are fewer than one enemy. The meaning is, don’t look for enemies! Look for as many friends as possible!
Thus, if we want to be true friends for someone, then we cannot do it all;
1. We must not harm our friends.
2. We must not spread the secrets of our friends.
3. We must not distinguish our property from the property of our friends.
4. We must not distinguish our honor from the honor of our friends.
If we understand the description above, then of course we will understand, that the way to make true friendship is as follows;
1. Don’t harm our friends.
2. Don’t spread the secrets of our friends.
3. Don’t differentiate our assets from our friends’ possessions. The point is that we must be able to share with each other.
4. Don’t distinguish our honor from the honor of our friends. It means; we must guard the honor of our friends as we maintain our own honor.
That is a brief explanation of the theme of this article. Do you understand? If you don’t understand, please ask!
I think that is enough for this article. May be useful! Amen!
See you again in the next article!
The advice of the Prophet Muhammad is in the book “Washiyyatu al-Mushthafaa”, al-Miftaah Publishing, Surabaya, Indonesia, p. 12.